Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Keep an Eye on the Enemy

…in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.
2 Corinthians 2:11

I know I've used the verse above recently in a devotion, if not more than once. Apparently God wants me to keep writing about it, so it must be important that we stay aware of Satan's schemes. I mentioned a few weeks ago a real-time strategy game I occasionally play on the computer and how having a good economy is essential to winning. (And, consequently, weakening the opponent's economy is a good strategic move. Same goes for removing the flesh so that sin has no resources to grow in us.) Well, probably the next most important thing in this game is to know what the opponent is up to.

In the game, it's very important for me to find ways to peer into my opponent's base as well as see what else is happening on the map. If I can see in his base, I can tell what kind of attack he is preparing and build the correct units to counter it. If I am watching the map as a whole, I can see when his attacks head toward my base and be prepared by the time they arrive. Some units just aren't good against others, but each unit has a unit that will defeat it fairly easily. If I've been building units that aren't good against the ones my opponent builds, when either of us attacks, I'll lose. But, if I see what he has and then build the best units to counter that, it'll be fairly easy for me to win. Justify Full

We need to keep this strategy in mind as we fight spiritual battles. Not every attack or defense is good against everything the enemy brings us. Sometimes we need prayer, other times fasting. Sometimes fellowship is important and sometimes we need to fight when it's just us and God going against Satan. (This last one is tricky, because Satan wants us to fight alone often so we'll lose. Always be sharing your struggles with Christian brothers and sisters!) In order to know what to do, we need to see how Satan is attacking and what he has coming next. We also need to be tuned in to Holy Spirit, because there isn't a formula. When the enemy is attacking a family, maybe the family needs to band together in prayer. But if a child is sick, maybe the parents should fast. None of these attacks are exclusive of the others and neither are our counters. We just need to be using the best ones for the battles ahead.

Father in Heaven we praise your mighty name. You are worthy, you are holy, you are righteous. We bless your name and we worship you. Thank you, almighty Father, that you make us aware of Satan's schemes. Thank you that we don't walk blindly into battle but instead we have the Spirit of the only Living God leading the way. Thank you that victory is ours! Teach us how to fight. Teach us how to strategize. Lord, we don't want to be outwitted by the enemy. In Jesus’ name, amen!

Keep an eye on Satan's schemes so you don't end up unprepared to fight him.

credits from: http://prod.daily-devotionals.net/



No comments:

Post a Comment